31 March 2008

Feher Music Center update

Today was Yuval Shaked's last day as director of the Feher Jewish Music Center of Beth Hatefutsoth (The Nahum Goldmann Museum of Jewish Diaspora), Tel Aviv. This email was sent to his friends and colleagues:

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

Today my activity at the Feher Jewish Music Center of Beth Hatefutsoth (The Nahum Goldmann Museum of Jewish Diaspora), Tel Aviv, is coming to its end. I had the privilege of intensely working here for 12 years, trying to promote an important cause, dear to many.

On the measure of significance attributed to the labor done here over many years I've learned from the measure of support and warm sympathy you bestowed on us, as well as from the deep concern you expressed in letters written to Beth Hatefutsoth's Management and others, and from the remarks you added to your signature on the petitions on behalf of the FJMC.

I draw from these expressions much strength needed for the fight. Your words excited me, sometimes to tears. I appreciate and cherish your support.

Much to my regret, it all didn't suffice. The failure is painful and clearly to be observed. I will go on fighting.

The collection deserves it and I owe it to myself, to my partners, to you, to my parents and family, to the society in which I raise my kids.

A period in my life is being closed. A room full of unbelievable treasures is being closed. I am most grateful to my devoted and skillful colleagues who helped to accomplish the Center's achievements, and am deeply ashamed of those who speak highly of Jewish culture, without having the slightest idea about it, and who goal-oriented work to ruin it.

With sorrow and relief –
Yuval Shaked

It remains to be seen what will now happen with the Feher Music Center and its holdings. We will miss Yuval, his knowledge and dedication.

No comments:

Post a Comment